All about us
Holmes of Dungannon has a well established history as Funeral Directors and Memorial Masons. In 1946, two brothers, William Robert and Richard Nathaniel Holmes, from Benburb relocated to Ballygawley Road to Dungannon after acquiring W.R. Irwin, Funeral Furnishers, Coal, Petrol and General Merchants.
Four years after the formation of Holmes Bros they amicably agreed to start trading as separate businesses; W.R. Holmes retained the existing premises and continued trading as a coal, petrol and general merchant, while R. N. Holmes relocated to the nearby Tyrone House, specialising in funeral service, taxi and wedding car hire.
In 1953, the old established monumental sculptors business of James Davis was merged into R.N. Holmes. This became an integral part of the business and enabled the Holmes name to become widely established throughout the province.
After leaving school Leslie Holmes, eldest son of Richard, began his training in funeral services with James Brown & Sons, Belfast. In late 1970, Leslie returned to join the family firm in Dungannon, and in 1975, a partnership was formed between Richard and Leslie, and Holmes of Dungannon was formed.
“Founding member, Richard Nathaniel Holmes retired in 1979, although his interest in Holmes of Dungannon continued until his death, in 1997.”
In 1988, Holmes of Dungannon and a number of other leading Funeral Directors merged through the formation of Funeral Services Northern Ireland Ltd.
Our team at Holmes of Dungannon are proud of our heritage and still hold the same values and principles first established so many years ago.
“We take great pride in the professional and caring service we provide to families in the community and hope to continue for many years to come.”